Steering Wheel for an MG

Hello,
Some months ago you supplied me with two lengths of American black walnut which I have used to make a wooden steering wheel rim for my 1974 MGB. These photos show some stages in the construction. As you  can see the first step was to make two hexagons and then to machine them into circles using a router.


I made a jig for the router which allowed it to turn and also to be lifted on and off the work. The wheel was made by making two identical circles between which the metal rim of the wheel was sandwiched, having cut a slot in each half for this in advance. ( I bought a second hand wheel on eBay for this project and stripped off the original rubber and plastic rim).
The trickiest bit was to machine the 'shoulders' which shroud the ends of the spokes. As you know one slip with a router and hours of work can be ruined.


The finger grooves at the back of the wheel were also done with the router, this time adapted to run in and out from the centre to the rim.
It was finished off with lots of hand sanding using flexible emery blocks, staining with a water based redwood stain and seven coats of gloss varnish, rubbing down with OOOO grade steel wool in between.
The instructions for this project I obtained from an MG forum I subscribe to. A similar project was undertaken by a member in America a few years ago and he uploaded lots of instructions, photos and drawings. Without these it would never have occurred to me to attempt such a project.
This is the best woodworking project I have ever done and I am very pleased with the result. Your advice on the wood to choose and your kindly sending me a sample were much appreciated. The final colour goes well with the fitted burr walnut dash, despite the difference in the grain pattern.
Many thanks for your excellent service and products,
Richard











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Good Timber